Benjamin F. Dawson, III, PE
email: dawson (at) hatdaw (dot) com
Professional Electrical Engineer: WA, CA
IEEE Communications, Vehicular, and Broadcast Technologies Societies
Association of Federal Communications Consulting Engineers (AFCCE)
Society of Broadcast Engineers
Society of American Military Engineers
Mr. Dawson has 50 years experience with telecommunications engineering. He is the managing partner and senior engineer at Hatfield & Dawson. He specializes in antenna and propagation design and analysis, and has been responsible for system design and specification for over 100 medium wave, UHF, and VHF broadcasting antenna systems, including propagation analysis and site selections.
He has prepared specifications for and designed dozens of point-to-point video, data, and voice radio systems at UHF, VHF, and microwave frequencies. He has written policy analyses and performed related technical research for communications regulations and communications technology for private clients and local, state, Federal, and foreign governments. Mr. Dawson has analyzed and prepared reports regarding the environmental effects of telecommunications facilities and industrial radio frequency devices. He has made measurement and field inspection of facilities for propagation and verification of computer and manual prediction methods.
Mr. Dawson has been a delegate (appointed by FCC and State Department) to International Telecommunications Union (ITU-R) Study Group 10 (Broadcasting) and Study Group 12 (Interservice Electromagnetic Compatibility). His early experience includes engineering and engineering management positions for radio and television broadcasting companies, which involved responsibility for facility design, specification, and construction.
- Technical consultant for intersystem electromagnetic compatibility analysis, measurements, and recommendations at East Twin Butte, ID, and Aubrey Butte, OR, and others.
- Project engineer for multiple compatibly studies at the Mt Constitution communication site, adjacent to a state park on Orcas Island, Washington. This communications facility site has nearly 200 tenants. Work at this site included co-siting three FM stations and extensive cellular and trunked-repeater systems with extensive land-mobile facility tenants.
- Project engineer for the evaluation of the potential for interference between proposed wireless telecommunications facilities and the existing and proposed high band VHF (150 MHz), UHF (450 MHz), 800 MHz, and 900 MHz facilities at the Puget Sound Energy Communications Site at Mount Erie. The existing and proposed facilities at the site include two-way radio systems, paging, and microwave relay systems.
- Project engineer for a detailed study of the Rendezvous Mountain communications site, located at the top of the Jackson Hole Ski Area in Teton Village, Wyoming. The study included a complete inventory of the existing facilities at the site, a complete intermodulation study, and an analysis of the potential for exposure of workers and the public to radio frequency fields in excess of those specified in FCC MPE (Maximum Permissible Exposure) guidelines.
- Project engineer for the analysis of potential interference between the proposed KWFM broadcast facility and the existing and proposed low band and high band VHF (50 MHz and 150 MHz), 900 MHz, and microwave facilities at the El Paso Natural Gas and Southwest Transmission Cooperative Communications Facilities at White Hill - San Xavier in Tucson, Arizona.
- Acceptance testing for independent confirmation of the shielding effectiveness of communications building, inspection of design, and installation of the lightning and RF ground system at the site. Idaho National Engineering Labs, East Butte Idaho.
- Project Manger for the development of site standards for communications sites jointly operated by the Washington State Patrol and the Washington State Department of Transportation.
- Technical consultant for complete new studio specification for Juarez, Mexico TV station.
- Project manager for inspection of existing Channel 2 US Army television station in Seoul, South Korea, and preparation of a complete plan for conversion to operation on higher VHF or UHF channel.
- Project manager for microwave distribution system for City News Service in the Los Angeles area.
- Technical consultant for all microwave frequency planning for 13 path microwave system, route addition and overbuild, and Project Manager for TV and FM site selection and system planning, State of Wyoming ETV/FM project.
- Project Manager, six projects for medium wave facility engineering matters, Voice of America.
- Technical Director of two facility redesigns, Bangkok and Rhodes, and new facility design, Bahrain.
- Technical Consultant for specification, conceptual design, replacement of High Point repeater and microwave tower facility, City of Seattle.
- Technical Consultant for analysis and specifications for relocation of medium wave antenna system near San Diego, for California Department of Transportation.